Eric C. Westman, MD, MHS
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Lifestyle Medicine Clinic
Department / Division:
/ General Internal Medicine
4220 North Roxboro Street
Durham, NC 27704
- MD, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 1986
- Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky Medical Center, 1990
- General Internal Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, 1992
- MHS, Biometry, Duke University School of Medicine, 1994
Evaluation and treatment of complicated lifestyle-related conditions including type 2 diabetes, obesity, polycystic ovary syndrome, metabolic syndrome, sleep apnea, fatty liver, tobacco dependence
My research interest is disease prevention. Because smoking and obesity are the major causes of morbidity and mortality in modern society, my research involves clinical trials examining new therapies for smoking cessation and obesity.
I serve as Medical Director of the Duke Center for Nicotine and Smoking Cessation Research, in collaboration with Jed Rose in the Department of Psychiatry. I am course coordinator for a Fourth-Year Medical Student Elective on the Medical Management of Obesity, and I am a faculty member of the Duke Clinical Research Training Program.
I belong to the Society of General Internal Medicine, the Society for Nicotine and Smoking Cessation Research, NAASO: The Obesity Society, and the American Society of Bariatric Physicians. I am also on the Editorial Board of Nutrition & Metabolism.
- Westman, EC; Feinman, RD; Mavropoulos, JC; Vernon, MC; Volek, JS; Wortman, JA; Yancy, WS; Phinney, SD. Low-carbohydrate nutrition and metabolism. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007;86:276-284. Abstract
- Westman, EC; Yancy, WS; Humphreys, M. Dietary treatment of diabetes mellitus in the pre-insulin era (1914-1922). Perspectives in Biology and Medicine. 2006;49:77-83. Abstract
- Yancy, WS; Olsen, MK; Guyton, JR; Bakst, RP; Westman, EC. A low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low-fat diet to treat obesity and hyperlipidemia: a randomized, controlled trial. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2004;140:769-777. Abstract
- Westman, EC; Mavropoulos, J; Yancy, WS; Volek, JS. A review of low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets. Current Atherosclerosis Reports. 2003;5:476-483. Abstract