Vacant, Primary Investigator
Clinical Research Coordinators
Clinical Research Specialist
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Georgia Sofia Karachaliou, MD, MSc
Our research focuses on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), currently one of the most common causes of chronic liver disease in the United States. Our work investigates the risk factors associated with NAFLD and its associated liver injury, and evaluates new therapies which may treat and/or reverse liver injury. Our research goals are to optimize the liver-related complications of obesity and improve the quality of life and liver health of patients with NAFLD.
- Impact of Fructose on Metabolism, Energy Homeostasis and MR biomarkers in NAFLD
- Intercept 747-303: Stage 2/3 liver fibrosis
- Genfit GFT505-315-1 NASH: 5 year study. Fibrosis stages 1-4. No bariatric surgery within 5 years. No uncontrolled hypertension or uncontrolled diabetes. No cirrhosis or other chronic liver diseases.
- Gilead 384-1943: Roughly 260 weeks. Stage 3 fibrosis. No other chronic liver diseases or cirrhosis. No history of cancer within 5 years.
- Shire SHP626-201: 1 year study. Stage 0-3 fibrosis. Elevated liver lab values.
- Boehringer BI 1467335: 12-week study. Evidence of NASH within 3 years. No bariatric surgery within 2 years (except gastric-band surgery). No cirrhosis.
- Allergan 301-002: 2 Part study. Part 1 is 1 year. Part 2 is 7 years. Stage 2 to 3 fibrosis stage.
- Conatus IDN 6556-14: 24-week study. Allows cirrhosis. No decompensated cirrhosis.
- Gilead 384-1944: Roughly 260 weeks. Allows cirrhosis. No malignancy within 5 years