Education and Training
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
MPH, Johns Hopkins University, 2011
Duke University - Global Health Pathway
Career and Research Goals
The purpose of my work is to improve cancer care delivery and patient outcomes (e.g., early detection of disease, cancer recurrence, and survival). The overall theme of my research is to understand interactions between determinants of cancer risk and to improve upon their combined effect on cancer stage at diagnosis and survival. I have developed a specific research focus on designing population-based strategies to improve the early detection of gastrointestinal and cervical cancers, for which the global burden of disease is high, and the need for scalable, cost-conscious tools for health systems exists..
Honors, awards and distinctions
- Gates Foundation Grand Challenges Explorations Grant
- Duke Global Cancer Pilot Grant
- Induction into Robert J. Lefkowitz Society, 2017
- N.I.H. Fogarty Global Health Fellowship, 2015-2016
- Califf Medicine Resident Research Award, Department of Medicine, Duke University, 2015
- Feagin Leadership Scholar, Duke University Medical Center, 2015
- Califf Medicine Resident Research Award, Department of Medicine, Duke University, 2014
- Appleseed Teaching Award, awarded by medical students for teaching excellence, Duke University School of Medicine, 2013
- Senior Scholarship, awarded by medical school Deans for academic excellence, Duke University School of Medicine, 2012
- Global Health Scholarship, merit-based, full tuition, Johns Hopkins University, 2011
- N.I.H. Clinical Research Training Program, 2010
- Musselwhite, L, Thomas, C, Abbott, D, Hauser, E, Wagner, L, Morris, S, Weiss, D, Lieberman, D, and Provenzale, D. Risk factors for interval advanced colorectal neoplasia after screening colonoscopy. American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL. May 2015.
- Musselwhite, LW, Schroeder, K, Bhattacharya, M, Vanderburg, SB, Masalu, NA, Chandy, M, Mauad, E, Bartlett, J, Kastan, MB, Merson, M, Chao, NJ. Duke University Global Cancer Program: A multidisciplinary approach to partnerships in global cancer care. American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL. May 2015.
- Hauser, E, Musselwhite, L, McNeill, R, Abbott, D, Thomas, C, O’Leary, M, Andrews, SM Wagner, L, Gellad, ZF, Weiss, DG, Lieberman, DT, Provenzale, D. Interactions of family history with baseline risk factors at 5-year follow-up in a CRC screening study of U.S. Veterans. American Society of Human Genetics Annual Meeting; Baltimore, MD. October 2015.
- Lieberman, D, Abbott, DH, O’Leary, MC, Hauser, ER, Williams, C, McNeill, RB, Sullivan, B, Musselwhite, L, Weiss, D, Gellad, ZF, Provenzale, D. Clinical risk group at baseline is associated with 10-year outcomes in a screening cohort-longitudinal analysis of the CSP 380 cohort. Digestive Disease Week. San Diego, CA. May 2016.
- Musselwhite, LW, Abbott, D, O’Leary, MC, Hauser, ER, McNeil, RB, Weiss, D, Lieberman, D, and Provenzale, D. Risk factors for interval advanced colorectal neoplasia after screening colonoscopy: 10-year follow-up of a prospective, multi-center cohort in the United States. 50th Anniversary International Agency for Research on Cancer Conference, Lyon, France. June 2016.
- Kwaramba, T*, Musselwhite, LW*, Mariano, VS, Pantano, N, Hosokawa, T, Hauser, E, Smith, JS, Hoyo, C, Vazquez, FL, Longatto-Filho, A, Murphy, SK, Reis, RM, Mauad, EC, Possati-Resende, JC, and Fregnani, JH. Racial disparities in Human Papillomavirus types 16/18 in women with abnormal cytology in a prospective, cross-sectional study in Brazil. Global Partnerships to Advance NCD Research within the Sustainable Development Goal Agenda Conference, Atlanta, GA. August 2016. *Authors contributed equally
- Sullivan, B, Qin, X, Sims, K, O’Leary, M, Bullard, J, Hauser, E, McNeil, R, Musselwhite, L, Gellad, Z, Williams, C, Weiss, D, Lieberman, D, Provenzale, D. Risk factors in Veterans with and without adenoma multiplicity in a screening cohort. Digestive Disease Week. Chicago, IL. May 2017.
- Musselwhite, LW, Redding, TS, Sims, KJ, O’Leary, M, Hauser, ER, Hyslop, T, Lieberman, DA, Provenzale, DT. Validation of the NCI colorectal cancer risk assessment tool in the CSP 380 Veterans cohort. ASCO annual meeting. Chicago, IL. June 2017.
- Oliveira, CM, Musselwhite, LW, Pantano, N, Vazquez, FL, Ramos, K, Smith, JS, Kernen,, P, Belmares, M, Schweizer, J, Lu, P, Souza, P, Tesoni, S, Possati-Resende, J, Vieira, M, Reis, R, Cintra, G, Andrade, C, Longatto-Filho, A, Fregnani, JH. Is HPV E6 oncoprotein detectable in urine among women with invasive cervical cancer? EUROGIN. Amsterdam, NE. October 2017.
- Musselwhite, LW, Kwaramba, T, Pantano, N, Tesoni SC, Hosokawa, TT, Longatto-Filho, A, Possati-Resende, JC, Vazquez, FL, Mauad, EC, Fregnani, JH, Brewer, NT, Smith, JS. HPV vaccine acceptability for daughters among at-risk women in Brazil. EUROGIN. Amsterdam, NE. October 2017.
- Qin, X, Hauser, ER, Stone, A, Carter, WC, Sims, K, Whitley, RL, Humphries, D, O’Leary, MC, Redding, TS, Sullivan, B, Gellad, ZF, Musselwhite, LW, Provenzale, D, Lieberman, D. Genetic association analysis of advanced neoplasia in a colon cancer screening cohort. Digestive Disease Week. Washington D.C. May 2018.