Where is your hometown?
North Massapequa, New York
Where did you train?
- Undergraduate- Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY
- Medical School- Howard University, Washington, DC
- Residency- Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, Manhasset, NY
- Chief Resident- Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, Manhasset, NY
Honors and Awards
- Travel Award to Attend KIDNEYcon 2018 in Little Rock, Arkansas (April 2018)
- ASN Kidney STARS Program Selection to Attend ASN Kidney Week 2014 in Philadelphia, PA (November 2014)
- Howard University College of Medicine Academic Achievement Scholarship (2010-2013)
- Stony Brook University Academic Achievement Scholarship (2007-2010)
What are your career goals?
I hope to pursue a career as an academic nephrologist, where I will have the opportunity to educate trainees, work as a clinician, and progress as a researcher. My current interests include cardiorenal, onconephrology, glomerular disease, and the use of point-of-care ultrasound for volume assessment. My current research involves looking at the outcomes of TAVR vs medical management in patients with advanced CKD.
What were you looking for in a fellowship program?
Collegial work environment, broad clinical exposure, great faculty mentorship, an institutional research training grant, and the ability to pursue an advanced degree.
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
The ability to get amazing, individualized training from a wide array of accomplished clinician educators and researchers who are truly invested in cultivating fellows into future leaders in the field.
What has surprised you most about Duke?
Everyone has been so nice and welcoming, and I find it incredibly easy to have meaningful conversations with people that I have just met. This aspect of the program stood out to me on my interview day and has continued to impress me.
What have you liked about living in Durham/RTP?
The cost of living is so reasonable (mind-blowing actually for this New Yorker) and on a fellow’s salary I can enjoy owning a beautiful home with my wife right in the heart of Durham. The food scene is incredible and on off days I have the ability to take a 2-hour care ride and go to the beach, hike in the mountains, or just hang out near home and enjoy all the fun things that Durham/Chapel Hill/RTP have to offer.
What advice would you give about moving to Durham?
Give it a chance and you won’t regret it.