1) Clinical interests and focus: I am a general gastroenterologist with a particular interest in colorectal cancer screening/surveillance and quality improvement. I recently served on the ASGE Assessment of Quality in Endoscopy committee and currently serve on the AGA Clinical Practice Updates committee.
2) Research focus: Outcomes, big data, and health services research as applied to a variety of GI areas including weight-loss devices, NAFLD, colorectal cancer screening, choledocholithiasis. I conduct clinical research (outcomes, clinical trials, diagnostic studies) in colorectal cancer screening and have collaborated with the School of Engineering on GI clinical applications of new technology.
3) Educational activities: Clinical teaching in gastroenterology and endoscopy, directing the Department of Medicine MENTORS program for research fellows, mentoring trainees and junior faculty in research. I am faculty of the GI T32 training grant and of the Duke Clinical Research Training Program. In my role as the GI Director of Social and Digital Media, I train and advise in using social media for medical education and professional development.
Education and Training
- Fellow in Gastroenterology, Medicine, Duke University, 1999 - 2002
- Medical Resident, Medicine, University of Virginia, 1996 - 1999
- M.D., Vanderbilt University, 1996