Dr Peterson is the Fred Cobb Distinguished Professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology, a DukeMed Scholar, and the Executive Director of the Duke Clinical Research Institute (DCRI), Durham, NC, USA.
Dr Peterson is the Principal Investigator of the National Institute of Health, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Coordinating Center for its Outcome Research Network, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Cardiovascular Center for Education and Research on Therapeutics (CERTs). He is also the Principal Investigator of the Data Coordinating Centers for the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS), National Cardiac Surgery Database, the American College of Cardiology National Cardiac Database (ACC-NCDR) and the American Heart Association Get With the Guidelines Database (AHA-GWTG).
Dr Peterson participates on multiple national committees, as well as CV guideline and performance measure development groups. Dr Peterson is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI), the Association of American Physicians (AAP), and the Association of University Cardiologists (AUC).
In 2013, Dr Peterson received the American Heart Association Meritorious Achievement Award and was voted one of world’s top 400 most influential researchers in biomedicine. This year, he was named by Thomson Reuters as a ‘Highly Cited Researcher’, ranking him among the top 1% most cited in clinical medicine. He is a Contributing Editor on the Journal of the American Medical Association and is a recognized leader in outcomes and quality research with over 800 peer-reviewed publications in the field.
Education and Training
- Fellow in Cardiology, Medicine, Duke University, 1992 - 1995
- Fellow in General Internal Medicine, Medicine, Harvard University , 1991 - 1992
- Medical Resident, Medicine, Children's Hospital Boston, 1988 - 1991
- M.D., University of Pittsburgh, 1988
- Financial and Social Behavioral Economic Incentives to Increase Physical Activity in Adolescents and Young Adults for Cardiovascular Health
- SPIRRIT-HFPEF - CCC
- Dissemination and Implementation Science in Cardiovascular Outcomes (DISCO)
- Duke Training Grant in Nephrology
- DCRI-Stanford Summit
- Bridging the Gap to Enhance Clinical Research Program (BIGGER)
- Preventing Cardiovascular Disease through Improved Risk Prediction and Communication
- Mentoring Patient Oriented Research in Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
- QuBBD: Deep Poisson Methods for Biomedical Time-to-Event and Longitudinal Data
- Administrative Claims-based Efficiencies for the Advancement of Regulatory Sciences
- DCRI Think Tank
- Thrombolysis in Ischemic Stroke Patients: Recent Stroke,AM Infarction,Major Surgery, Combo Prev Stroke Diabetes Mellitus
- DCRI Think Tank
- Integrated Biostatistical Training for CVD Research
- Optimizing Health Outcomes in Patients with Symptomatic Aortic Valve Disease
- Postdoctoral Training in Cardiovascular Clinical Research
- CASCADE Registry
- An Innovative Model to Predict Readmissions in Adults with Cardiovascular Disease