Dr. Megan Clowse is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Rheumatology and Immunology. Her clinical research focuses on the management of rheumatic diseases in pregnancy. She has cared for over 600 pregnancies in women with rheumatic disease, collecting information on these pregnancies initially in the Duke Autoimmunity in Pregnancy Registry and Repository, and now the MADRA (Maternal Autoimmune Disease Research Alliance) registry and repository. She served on the Core Leadership Team for the inaugural American College of Rheumatology's Reproductive Health Guidelines, published January 2020. Dr. Clowse created www.LupusPregnancy.org, a website dedicated to improving lupus pregnancy planning and management for patients and rheumatologists.
Dr. Clowse was the founding director of the Duke Lupus Clinic, where she continues to see patients each week and mentor junior faculty researchers. The team has developed a new approach to lupus classification and management and is currently collecting and analyzing patient- and physician-reported measures to better clarify this construct.
As the Co-Director of Duke Forge, Dr. Clowse has shepherding multiple Department of Medicine-funded studies to identify and build innovative approaches to using health data to improve patient care.
Education and Training
- Fellow in Rheumatology, Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 2002 - 2005
- Medical Residetn, Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 1999 - 2002
- M.D., Vanderbilt University, 1999
- M.P.H., University of California - Los Angeles, 1994
- Optimal Dosing for Biologic Agents in Obese Patients with Rheumatoid and Juvenile Arthritis
- Biomarkers of Pregnancy Complications in women with Rheumatic Disease
- STUDY "A MULTICENTER, LONGITUDINAL, PROSPECTIVE, PHARMACOKINETIC, PHASE 1B STUDY IN WOMEN WITH CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASES TREATED WITH CIMZIA® (CERTOLIZUMAB PEGOL) DURING PREGNANCY"
- Moving the ACR's Reproductive Health Guidelines into Practice
- Lysosome Defects and the Accumulation of Immune Complexes in Human Lupus
- Pfizer QI Telehealth in Rheumatology
- A novel approach to measuring and managing chronic pain, fatigue, and depression in systemic lupus erythematosus.