Seven Department of Medicine faculty were recognized with awards at the School of Medicine annual Spring Faculty Meeting on May 8.
Harry Phillips, MD, professor of medicine (Cardiology), received the Excellence in Professionalism Award, which recognizes the importance of promoting ethical and professional behavior within our community. This award is presented annually to a faculty member who exemplifies professionalism and personifies Duke’s guiding principles of respect, trustworthiness, diversity, teamwork, and learning.
Two faculty received Research Mentoring Awards, which were established in 2009 to recognize faculty members in the Schools of Medicine and Nursing with excellence in research mentoring. The recipients from the Department are:
- Dawn Provenzale, MD, professor of medicine (Gastroenterology), received the Research Mentoring Award for clinical science research.
- Chris Woods, MD, MPH, professor of medicine (Infectious Diseases) and pathology, received the Research Mentoring Award for translational science research.
Three faculty from the Department of Medicine received the Master Teacher Clinician Award, which honors individuals with superlative accomplishment and service in the areas of clinical care and teaching. Awards are given to recognize clinical practitioners who exemplify the highest standards of clinical care, pedagogy, and professionalism or to basic scientists who achieve distinction in pedagogy and professionalism.
- Murat Arcasoy, MD, professor of medicine (Hematology)
- Chet Patel, MD, associate professor of medicine (Cardiology)
- Joanne Wilson, MD, professor of medicine (Gastroenterology)
Additionally Poonam Sharma, MD, assistant professor of medicine (General Internal Medicine), received Duke AHEAD's Interprofessional Education Award, which honors individuals who have demonstrated commitment, enthusiasm, competence, and innovation in promoting IPE in teaching, scholarly work, and/or clinical education.
From left, Kathleen Cooney, MD, and Harry Phillips, MD
From left, Dawn Provenzale, MD, and Kathleen Cooney, MD
From left, Kathleen Cooney, MD, and Chris Woods, MD, MPH
From left, Edward Buckley, MD, and Murat Arcasoy, MD
From left, Edward Buckley, MD, and Chet Patel, MD
From left, Edward Buckley, MD, and Joanne Wilson, MD