One member wants to move up a level in the RACI tier structure. Another member is tired of saying that they just “attended” college. And one member truly wants to march across the stage listening to “Pomp and Circumstance.” Who are these people? They are members of PEERONE, a social networking group that provides support, resources, and encouragement to peers who are committed to continuing education.
PEERONE was established in November 2015 and their first meeting was held on Dec. 4, 2015.
By sharing experiences of balancing schoolwork with full-time jobs and small children at home, time management skills, and financial aid tips, PEERONE has really become a tight-knit team. The group is celebrating their first anniversary this December, and they have had a very successful year. The team has grown exponentially via word of mouth, and they have accomplished quite a bit during the past 12 months. Here are just some of their achievements:
- Alisha Wood – Duke’s Research Administration Academy (RAA) certification
- Amy Mitchell – Duke’s Federal Contracting Certification
- Benjamin Newkirk – Duke’s Research Administration Academy (RAA) certification
- Dawn Chestnut – Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certification
- Katherine Thacker – Duke’s Research Administration Academy (RAA) certification
- Lora Griffiths – Duke’s Advanced Grant Management (AGM) certification
- Valorie Smith – Duke’s Advanced Grant Management (AGM) certification
PEERONE also has four members who have enrolled in college since December 2015.
- Francene Richardson – attending William Peace University
- Tony Rogers – attending North Carolina Central University
- Tonya O’Dell – attending William Peace University in Spring 2017
- Valorie Smith – attending William Peace University
The best news? PEERONE has had one graduate during the past year: Jeanine Latta, Department of Medicine senior research administrator, received her Associates of Science (AS) in Business Administration from The University of Mount Olive. Latta is the founder of PEERONE. She is also a driving force in encouraging and mentoring staff members who are current students and potential students. She is currently working on her Bachelor of Science in Business Administration at The University of Mount Olive.
PEERONE meets once a month every third Friday from noon until 1 p.m. at Erwin Square. If you are currently enrolled in school or considering becoming a student and PEERONE sounds exactly like the support group that you need, please contact Latta at email@example.com or give her a call at 919-681-6635 with questions or for more information. Please know: You don’t have to do this alone. PEERONE is here to help support you and someday soon you, too, will be hearing “Pomp and Circumstance.”
To learn more about PEERONE and their story, read "PEERONE, transforming lives through education and support" on MedicineNews.