The Department of Medicine is committed to the success of our faculty and trainees.
This directory of resources, support offerings, tools and other links sponsored by the Department of Medicine Chair's Office through the Vice Chair for Faculty Development and Diversity supports Department of Medicine faculty and trainees in their career, professional and personal development.
Taking advantage of these (faculty development) programs has really helped me gain collaborations, diversified my research, and most importantly allowed other eyes on my research.
Matt Sparks, MD
Leadership and Professional Development
- Department of Medicine Faculty Development Academy: Four branches: Basic/Translational Research; Clinical/Health Services Research; Education Research; and Administrative Pathways.
- Department of Medicine Peer Mentoring: Multiple groups with shared interests meet approximately monthly
- Chancellor’s Clinical Leadership in Academic Medicine Program (CCHAMP)
- Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine Program for Women (sponsored by Dean)
- SoM Leadership Development for Researchers (LEADER)
- SoM Duke Academy for Health Professions Education and Academic Development (Duke AHEAD)
- SoM Office for Faculty Development provides a wide range of faculty development seminars and workshops, available in person or as archived recordings. Examples include:
- Gopen seminar on scientific writing skills
- Write Winning Grants
- Effective Presentation Skills
- Data Management
- Getting promoted at Duke
- NIH Early Career Reviewer (visit CSR website to apply)
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Faculty Development Seminars:
- Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar (attendance sponsored by DoM/PWIM)
- Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar (attendance sponsored by DoM/PWIM)
- Minority Faculty Career Development Seminar (attendance sponsored by DoM/MRRC)
- Department of Medicine Faculty Orientation Guide
- Resources for Research
- NIH loan repayment program
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health Program
- Leave of absence for trainees: Policy and Worksheet
- Leave of absence for faculty: contact your division administrator and PWIM for instructions.
- School of Medicine New Faculty Orientation sessions
- Duke University Faculty Handbook
- DUHS social media policy