Dr. Westman is an Associate Professor of Medicine at Duke University. He is Board Certified in Obesity Medicine and Internal Medicine, and founded the Duke Keto Medicine Clinic with Dr. William S. Yancy Jr. in 2006 after 8 years of clinical research regarding low carbohydrate ketogenic diets.
He is Past-President and Master Fellow of the Obesity Medicine Association and Fellow of The Obesity Society. He is an editor of the textbook: Obesity: Evaluation & Treatment Essentials, and author of the New York Times Bestseller The New Atkins for a New You, Cholesterol Clarity, and Keto Clarity. He is co-founder of Adapt Your Life, an education and product company based on low carbohydrate concepts.
He is course coordinator for MED415c, a Fourth-Year Medical Student Elective on the Medical Management of Obesity, and a faculty member of the Duke Clinical Research Training Program.
Education and Training
- Fellow in General Internal Medicine, Medicine, Duke University, 1990 - 1992
- Chief Resident, Medicine, University of Kentucky, 1989 - 1990
- Medical Resident, Medicine, University of Kentucky, 1986 - 1989
- M.H.S., Duke University, 1994
- M.D., University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1986