I am a cardiologist with a clinical and research interest in heart failure, including advanced therapies such as cardiac transplantation and mechanical assist devices or “heart pumps." I serve our group as Chief of the Heart Failure Section. I became a heart failure cardiologist in order to help patients manage their chronic disease over many months and years. I consider myself strongly committed to compassionate patient care with a focus on quality of life and patient preference.
My research interests are focused on treating co-morbid diseases in heart failure patients and improving outcomes across the cardiovascular spectrum through clinical trials and outcomes research. Below, you will find my specific research interests:
- Cardiometabolic disease
- Co-morbidity characterization (diabetes, sleep apnea, renal failure) in heart failure.
- Phenotypic characterization and risk prognostication of patients with heart failure.
- Role of surrogate and nonfatal endpoints in clinical heart failure trials.
- Biomarkers in heart failure.
- Novel pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches to heart failure.
- Improving site-based heart failure research.
Education and Training
- Fellowship, Advanced Heart Failure, Duke University School of Medicine, 2012 - 2013
- Fellowship, Clinical Cardiology, Duke University School of Medicine, 2010 - 2012
- Resident, Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 2008 - 2010
- Intern, Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 2007 - 2008
- M.D., Emory University, 2003
- TRANSFORM-HF CCC
- JTT-251_HF Trial
- Prognostic value of Heart Rate Variability measured by Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Devices
- VICTORIA Registry
- Jackson Heart Study Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Working Group and Medicare Data Linkage
- TRANSFORM-HF CCC (Subcontract with Yale)
- PROVIDE-HF: Patient Reported Outcomes inVestigation following Initiation of Drug therapy with Entresto (Valsartan/Sacubitril) in Heart Failure.
- UNC-Duke Collaborative Clinical Pharmacology Postdoctoral Training Program