Second and Third Years

Clinical Experiences

Clinical experiences during the 2nd and 3rd year are largely limited to continuity clinic, elective rotations, as well as coverage responsibilities for peer colleagues, as part of vacation or scientific meeting presentations.

Fellows also have the option of pursuing additional clinical training in the following Duke multidisciplinary clinics including, but not limited to:

  • Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic
  • Breast Oncology Clinic
  • Coagulation Clinic
  • Gastrointestinal Oncology Clinic
  • General Hematology Clinic
  • Gynecology Oncology Clinic
  • Head and Neck Oncology Clinic
  • Hematologic Malignancies Clinic
  • Hemostasis and Thrombosis Clinic
  • Hereditary Cancer Clinic
  • Melanoma Clinic
  • Neuro-Oncology Clinic
  • Prostate/Genitourinary Oncology Clinic
  • Radiation Oncology Clinic
  • Sarcoma Clinic
  • Sickle Cell Clinic
  • Thoracic Oncology Clinic

Research Experiences

Research Programs

The second and third years of the fellowship program allow the fellow to tailor their training for a future career in research, clinical education and/or clinical practice environments.

Fellows interested in a research pathway can be selected for one of several NIH-sponsored T32 research programs, including Duke’s Transfusion Medicine & Hematology training grant. Training programs allow for 75% protected time to pursue research with remaining 25% time allotted for fulfilling ACGME clinical requirements. Fellows interested in clinical education, global health and/or clinical practice pathways may be able to pursue individualized curricula in partnership with respective Duke communities, such as Duke Global Health or Duke Ahead

Three formalized training tracks are available to fellows and include the following:

  • Clinical Investigation and Translational Research Track
    • Clinical Investigation, including early phase clinical trials
    • Health Outcomes/Health Services Research
    • Survivorship
  • Basic Science (Laboratory based) Research Track
  • Clinical Educator Track
    • Quality improvement research
    • Medical education initiatives

Although fellows may elect a specific track, the tracks are designed to be guides and often can overlap based on the nature of research projects.

For fellows pursuing research, the general goals are to:

  • Further develop research skills.
  • Generate preliminary data.
  • Prepare and submit a peer reviewed manuscript based on original research.
  • Write grant applications.
  • Continue coursework in basic sciences, clinical research, biometry or other academic area supporting the individual’s career research goals

For those pursuing clinically oriented careers:

  • Consolidate knowledgebase of molecular hematology, cancer biology and clinical management.
  • Move toward independent clinical decision-making through care of patients in longitudinal clinics.
  • Develop sufficient professional ability to practice hematology and medical oncology competently and independently.

Regardless of focus, the ultimate goal is to obtain a faculty position at an academic medical center following completion of the fellowship.