The School of Medicine and the Department of Medicine provide guidelines and resources for faculty as they consider their progression through the Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure (APT) process.
See the School of Medicine's Office of Faculty Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure. The Department of Medicine faculty follows the Clinical Sciences APT process. As of 2020, there are two promotion paths within the SOM, the Career Track and the Tenure Track.
- Career Track
- Tenure Track
- Quick Comparison of the Career and Tenure Tracks
- Regular Rank Faculty APT Checklist
- Promotion and Tenure Path
- Faculty Promotions Process: Policy and Procedures
- APT Resources
- Questions about...
- Meet annually with Division Chief (or mentor) to obtain feedback about your promotion pathway and plan timeline activities for moving to the next step.
- Establish/Refine five-year timeline for promotion with Division Chief.
- Keep your Curriculum Vitae (CV) up to date and in the Duke format. (link to duke format)
- Author your Intellectual Development Statement.
- Follow the department’s policy and procedures regarding the promotion process.
- For questions about the process, contact the department's APT Coordinator.