Laura P. Svetkey, MD MHS is Professor of Medicine/Nephrology, Vice Chair for Faculty Development and Diversity in the Department of Medicine, and School of Medicine Faculty Ombudsperson. She is also the Director of Duke’s CTSA-sponsored internal career development award program (KL2) and the Investigator Development Core of Duke’s REACH Equity Disparities Research Center.
Dr. Svetkey has over 30 years of experience in the investigation of hypertension, obesity, and related areas, conducting NIH-sponsored clinical research ranging from behavioral intervention trials to metabolomics and genetics, with a consistent focus on prevention, non-pharmacologic intervention, health disparities and minority health. Her research has affected national guidelines, having served on the 2013 national Hypertension Guideline Panel (JNC) and the Lifestyle Guideline Working Group. She is an American Society of Hypertension certified hypertension specialist, and a member of the Association of American Physicians (AAP). She is the Associate Director, Core Director and Project PI of Duke’s REACH Equity Disparities Research Center.
As Department of Medicine Vice Chair for Faculty Development and Diversity, she implements a wide range of programs to enhance the experience and advancement of faculty and trainees, with particular emphasis on under-represented minorities and women.
As School of Medicine Faculty Ombudsperson, she helps faculty resolve concerns by providing confidential, impartial, informal guidance.
Education and Training
- Fellow in General Internal Medicine, Medicine, Duke University, 1982 - 1983
- Resident in Medicine, Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, 1980 - 1982
- Intern in Medicine, Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, 1979 - 1980
- M.D., Harvard University , 1979
- Diet and Hypertension Management in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Using digital health to improve diet quality among adults at risk for cardiovasclar disease
- Endocrinology and Metabolism Training Program
- Duke CTSA (TL1)
- Duke CTSA (KL2)
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Duke Training Grant in Nephrology
- Mentoring Intervention Development in Fall and Fracture Prevention