The School of Medicine and the Department of Medicine provide guidelines and resources for faculty as they consider their progression through the Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure (APT) process.
School of Medicine Office of Faculty Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure
See the School of Medicine's Office of Faculty Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure. The Department of Medicine faculty will follow the Clinical Sciences APT process. As of 2020, there are two promotion paths within the SOM, the Career Track and the Tenure Track.
- Career Track
- Tenure Track
- Quick Comparison of the Career and Tenure Tracks
- Regular Rank Faculty APT Checklist
- Promotion and Tenure Path
- Faculty Promotions Process: Policy and Procedures
- APT Resources
- Questions about...
Department Promotion Process
- Meet annually with Division Chief (or mentor) to obtain feedback about your promotion pathway and plan timeline activities for moving to the next step.
- Establish/Refine five-year timeline for promotion with Division Chief.
- Keep your Curriculum Vitae (CV) up to date and in the Duke format. (link to duke format)
- Author your Intellectual Development Statement.
- Follow the department’s policy and procedures regarding the promotion process.
- For questions about the process, contact the department's APT Coordinator.
Criteria for Selecting External Reviewers (Promotion to Associate Professor or Professor with Tenure)
When asked to provide the list of 10-12 names who can offer an impartial external review of your promotion dossier, ensure the individuals meet the criteria set by the School of Medicine. Submitting names that do not meet the criteria could lead to significant delays in the promotion process.
- There should be no potential perceived conflicts of interest (former colleagues, supervisors, mentors, and trainees; shared grant funding; etc.).
- The SOM will not accept letters from non-tenured faculty for tenure decisions.
- When the SOM reviews the list of publications, the promotion candidate's name and the requester's name should not be listed as authors on the same publication.