This award recognizes a faculty member whose career at Duke has achieved extraordinary impact in one of the three core missions of the Department of Medicine: education, research, and clinical medicine. Recipients of this award model Duke’s values of Excellence, Integrity, Teamwork, Respect, and Innovation and have created sustained legacies that have shaped this institution.
All regular-rank faculty members with a primary appointment in the Department of Medicine are eligible, except faculty who have received this award in the past. Faculty on either the Career Track or Tenure Track are eligible.
Candidates must be nominated by another regular-rank faculty member, with letter of support from the Division Chief. Nominations will also include a concise, one-page narrative describing the faculty member’s contributions to teaching, research, patient care, or leadership.
Nomination packages must be submitted as a single pdf and must include the following information.
- Letter of nomination (5,000 characters or less)
- Division Chief letter of support (5,000 characters or less)
- Nominee’s current CV
Nominations should address one of the following attributes of the nominee’s impact:
- Clinical excellence and dedicated service to patient-centered care
- Outstanding contributions to research
- Excellence in teaching and/or mentoring
- Organizational or departmental standing within the academic or local community
- Organizational advances in systems of care, promoting a culture of safety, or improved efficiencies
Examples of Career Achievement include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Developing and leading educational programs, including the creation and/or implementation of new courses and major improvement of current courses which advance the mission of the Duke Department of Medicine
- Developing and directing a successful clinical program which advances the mission of the Duke Department of Medicine
- Developing and leading programs successful for institutional improvement which advance the mission of the Duke Department of Medicine (e.g., developing programs in patient safety that contribute to administrative or institutional change)
- Developing and leading research programs which have made outstanding contributions to the mission of Duke Department of Medicine, including clinical, translational, and/or basic research by PhD or MD faculty
The deadline for all DOM faculty awards nominations is February 24, 2023. A single .pdf file containing all application materials should be submitted to DOM Faculty Affairs by 5 p.m. on February 24, 2023. Please submit applications from a duke.edu email address.
Award nominations will be reviewed, and recipients determine by the Department of Medicine Faculty Awards Committee.
The recipient of this award will be announced during the “DOM Annual Celebration” in the spring.