The Education Achievement Award, developed by leaders of the Duke Department of Medicine (DOM) Education Mission recognizes DOM faculty who have shown exceptional dedication to the art and practice of teaching, are beloved by former students, trainees, and faculty members, and who have made a positive impact on individuals' learning and careers.
- Examples of Teaching Excellence
- Nomination Process
- Submission Deadline
- Selection Process
- Award Notification
- Clinical practice as a Duke School of Medicine faculty member for more than 5 years
- Evidence of teaching throughout their career. Such teaching can take place in the School of Medicine, the Medicine-based residency programs, a Departmental fellowship program, or an interdisciplinary program that impacts Departmental providers
- Local, regional, or national awards for education
- Multiple instances of local, regional, or national leadership positions that pertain to medical education
- Development and dissemination of educational innovations
- Leadership or repeated participation in efforts to diversify and provide equitable opportunities to learners in the Department of Medicine
- Evidence of a national reputation as a leader in education
- Commitment to improvement as an educator through ongoing professional development
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a consistently positive learning environment
All regular-rank, full-time Assistant Professors, Associate Professors, and Professors with a primary appointment in the Department of Medicine of Duke University who interact with learners in the Department of Medicine. Those who have received this award in the past are not eligible.
Candidates must be nominated by another full-time, regular-rank faculty member, Medical Director, Clinical Chief, or Division Chief.
Nomination packages must be submitted as a single pdf and must include the following information.
- Letter of nomination (5,000 characters or less)
- Nominee’s current CV
Nominations should emphasize how the candidate has impacted the career development of learners throughout the Department of Medicine, and address one or more of the following attributes of the nominee:
- Demonstrated commitment to educating the next generation of medicine physicians
- Outstanding quality of teaching provided, including ability to convey topic-based teaching along with consistent creation of an environment that encourages all learners
- Commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equitable treatment of learners
- Evidence of longitudinal and impactful local, regional, or national leadership as an educator
- Recognition as a thought leader in Medicine education
The deadline for all DOM faculty awards nominations is March 4, 2024. A single .pdf file containing all application materials should be submitted to DOM Faculty Affairs by 5 p.m. on March 4, 2024. Please submit applications from a duke.edu email address.
Award nominations will be reviewed, and recipients determine by the Department of Medicine Faculty Awards Committee.
The recipient of this award will be notified by March 31, 2024.