This award recognizes Duke Department of Medicine faculty members who have made exceptional contributions to the practice of patient care, clinical innovation, and training the next generation of physicians. They are widely considered to be “the doctors’ doctor,” the faculty physician to whom colleagues turn for assistance in managing complicated patients and who serve as our role models in the practice of medicine.
Examples of clinical excellence include:
- Clinical practice as a Duke School of Medicine faculty member for more than 5 years
- Evidence of strong regional/national referral patterns
- Development of clinical innovations
- Fostering increasingly equitable health care delivery
- Commitment to clinical training
All regular-rank, full-time Assistant Professors, Associate Professors, and Professors with a primary appointment in the Department of Medicine of Duke University who spend the majority of their duties engaged in direct patient care in outpatient or inpatient settings at any location where Duke faculty practice are eligible. Those who have received this award in the past 5 years are not eligible.
Candidates must be nominated by another full-time, regular-rank faculty member, Medical Director, Clinical Chief, or Division Chief.
Nomination packages must be submitted as a single pdf and must include the following information.
- Letter of nomination (5,000 characters or less)
- Nominee’s current CV
Nominations should emphasize how the candidate has impacted the overall clinical care of patients throughout Duke Health, and address one or more of the following attributes of the nominee:
- Outstanding quality of patient care
- Commitment to team-oriented delivery of patient care
- Excellent rapport with non-physician clinical staff
- Participation in quality improvement project(s)
- Accessibility and commitment to collaboration with other physicians
- Dedication to the continuing education of physician colleagues through lectures and informal discussions of medical cases
The deadline for all DOM faculty awards nominations is February 24, 2023. A single .pdf file containing all application materials should be submitted to DOM Faculty Affairs by 5 p.m. on February 24, 2023. Please submit applications from a duke.edu email address.
Award nominations will be reviewed, and recipients determine by the Department of Medicine Faculty Awards Committee.
The recipient of this award will be announced during the “DOM Annual Celebration” in the spring.