Institutional Facts

Duke School of Medicine Standard Reference Information for Forms & Applications

The Duke reference data  page provides useful institutional information (e.g. DUNS number, tax status, insurance information, etc.) to help with preparation and management of sponsored research applications and awards.

Duke University’s Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)/W-9 Form

Sponsors will often request Duke tax information at the time of proposal submission or at the time of award. The standard form used by most sponsors to request Duke University’s TIN information is IRS form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. Departments at Duke University (in accordance with GAP 200-028) can respond to the requesting party directly by retrieving the appropriate W-9 form. Any Duke faculty or staff can sign the document. Failure to respond promptly to the form W-9 requests, in some situations, may delay issuance of checks to Duke University.

Facilities & Administrative (F&A) Rates

Indirect Costs, also known as Facilities & Administrative (F&A) Costs or Overhead Costs, are expenses incurred for common or joint objectives and, therefore, cannot be identified specifically with a particular sponsored project. All applications for sponsored research will generally have associated F&A costs in the conduct of projects and need to be recovered from the sponsor. It is expected that the standard F&A rate will be used in all applications. If the rate indicated by the sponsor is a nonstandard rate, refer to the School of Medicine's F&A guidelines for guidance.

Fringe Rates

Fringe benefit rates are employee associated costs such as health plan expenses, pension plan expenses and workman's compensation expenses, among others. These costs are expressed as a rate by employee class. The rate is the pooled costs of these benefits divided by the total salaries in each employee class. Fringe benefit rates are expressed as a percentage of salary. Separate rates are used for federal and non-federal grants and contracts, and those rates are divided into faculty/monthly employees, bi-weekly employees, Ph.D. students and other students. Current and past fringe rates.