The Duke Division of Geriatrics collaborates closely with faculty members from other divisions in the Department of Medicine as well as the Departments of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Community and Family Medicine.
The Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development coordinates our many cross-disciplinary, multi-institutional research studies and programs.
We also conduct research and clinical activities in conjunction with a variety of other multidisciplinary centers, institutes, and labs across campus. These include:
- The Chinese Longitudinal Healthy Longevity Survey seeks to understand the determinants of healthy longevity of human beings and includes the largest sample of centenarians in the world.
- The Cognitive Psychology Laboratory at the Duke Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development focuses on the changes in perception, attention, and memory associated with human aging.
- The Duke Center for Living helps people achieve optimal health and quality of life through prevention, treatment, education, and research.
- The Duke Center for Palliative Care pursues research that aims to find ever-better ways of alleviating suffering, reducing pain, and improving quality of life for those with potentially life-limiting illnesses.
- The Duke Center for Spirituality, Theology, and Health conducts interdisciplinary research on spirituality, theology, and health. That scholarship is then integrated into care and service, with an emphasis on older adults.
- Duke's Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center explores modifiable pathways to functional decline.
- The Duke Clinical Research Institute combines the clinical expertise and academic leadership of a premier teaching hospital with the full-service operational capabilities of a major contract research organization.
- The Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life conducts research and education programs to improve end-of-life care.
- The Durham VA Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC) is one of 20 GRECCs that advance and integrate research, education, and clinical achievements in geriatrics and gerontology into the total VA health care system.
- The Joseph and Kathleen Bryan Alzheimer's Disease Research Center conducts basic and clinical research projects, including an Alzheimer's disease prevention registry.
- The Sarah Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center is building a unique program in metabolic and nutritional research.