Physicians who choose Duke Health as their partner in patient care have access to nationally recognized specialists and services in every health care discipline.
All new patients referred by outside physicians should fax their notes and reason for referral to the Duke Nephrology office at 919-681-1143 prior to the patient's appointment.
Referrals can be made through the scheduling center at 919-620-5300, or by calling the following clinics directly at the numbers below.
Renal Transplant Clinic
Referrals for transplant evaluations can be made through the Renal Transplant Office at 919-684-5859.
Duke Kidney Transplant Clinic, Monday through Friday, Duke Clinic 2C
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Education Class
CKD Class 1:30-4:00 Second Wednesday of each month
Clinic 2B2C Conference room
*MD referral required due to limited space
Duke Specialty Clinics at Person Memorial Hospital, Roxboro, NC
Please contact Eugene Kovalik, MD, Monday and Tuesday only
Duke Consultation and Referral Center
For personal assistance with patient referrals or more information about Duke physicians or services, call the Duke Consultation and Referral Center at 800-MED-DUKE (800-633-3853).
Improving Outcomes for Patients with Kidney Disease
Referrals to the following physicians can be made through the scheduling center at 919-620-5300
All new patients referred by outside physicians should fax their most recent notes and reason for referral to Duke Nephrology’s office at 919-681-1143 prior to the patient's appointment.
Physicians: Clinic Days and Location
- Michael Berkoben, MD: Thursday Duke Clinic 2B/C.
- David W. Butterly, MD: Thursday Duke Clinic 2B/C.
- C. Blake Cameron, MD: Monday and Friday, Brier Creek Medical Pavilion, 10207 Cerny Street Suite 306, Raleigh NC 28617.
- Matthew J. Ellis, MD: Transplant Clinic –Monday, Thursday morning and Friday afternoon Duke Clinic 2B/C; Tuesday morning clinic Duke Clinic 2G.
- Kim Evans, MD: Tuesday and Wednesday Duke Clinic 2B/C.
- Eugene C. Kovalik, MD: Wednesday and Thursday Duke Clinic 2F/G. Also has a satellite clinic in Roxboro, NC
- Ruediger W. Lehrich, MD: Wednesday Duke Clinic 2B/C.
- John Paul Middleton, MD: Monday Duke Clinic 2B/C.
- David Ortiz-Melo, MD: Tuesday and Wednesday Duke Clinic 2B/C.
- Scott Sanoff, MD, MPH: Transplant Clinic Duke Clinic 2B/C
- Stephen R. Smith, MD: Monday, Thursday, and Friday Duke Clinic 2B/C.
- Laura P. Svetkey, MD: Duke Hypertension Clinic located at Duke Health Center North Duke Street, 3116 North Duke Street, Durham, NC 27704. Appointment office phone: 919-620-5300. Referrals: Refractory, severe, difficult to control hypertension; suspicion of secondary hypertension; patients interested in non-pharmacologic management of hypertension. **Although Dr. Svetkey is a certified hypertension expert in the Nephrology Division, she is not a Nephrologist. Patients being referred for diagnosis or management of kidney disease should be referred to another member of the division.
- Crystal Tyson, MD: Duke Hypertension Clinic (Wednesday mornings): located at Duke Health Center, 3116 North Duke Street, Durham, NC 27704. General Nephrology Clinic (Tuesday mornings) Duke Clinic 2B/2C
- Duke Kidney Transplant Clinic, Monday through Friday, Duke Clinic 2C