Clinical research by members of the Duke Department of Medicine is known for results with high impact on improving health outcomes.
Among many of the innovative studies conducted on-site are interventions for osteoporosis, hypertension, heart disease, and diabetes.
Clinical Research Unit
The Medicine Clinical Research Unit (CRU) is dedicated to improving the health of adults through excellence in innovative clinical research. We strive to develop an ethical, functional, and financially sound research enterprise. We provide first-rate patient experience and full support of our academic-clinician and research operations staff careers.
The CRU ensures that there is a core of skilled individuals to deal with clinical research issues, and provide the necessary training of investigators, research coordinators, and other study personnel.
We also provide financial and research practice oversight to ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and institutional policies and procedures.
The oversight of the Medicine CRU ensures that clinical research is:
- Scientifically aligned with the interests of the faculty and the academic mission of the School of Medicine and the Department of Medicine
- Compliant with local, regional, and national regulations and with institutional policies and procedures related to the conduct of clinical research
- Conducted by individuals with appropriate qualifications, training, and certifications in the conduct of clinical research
- Appropriately funded and financially transparent and accountable
Research by Division
Clinical research is conducted by each of the divisions of the Department of Medicine. Click a division to get details about clinical research efforts in each:
- Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Nutrition
- General Internal Medicine
- Hematological Malignancies and Cellular Therapy
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Oncology
- Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine
- Rheumatology and Immunology
Susanna Naggie, MD
Director, Medicine Clinical Research Unit
Sara Patillo, MSHS, CCRP, PMP
Associate Director, Clinical Research Operations
Research Practice Manager
Medicine Clinical Research Unit